Doctorate Students

renewable energyNon-EU/EEA Citizens

All non-EU/EEA doctorate students require a work- and residence permit in Iceland.

All doctorate students may apply for residence permits for their spouse and family on the grounds of family reuinification.

The Relocation Service assists all non-EU/EEA doctorate students with the residence and work permit application process.

EU/EEA Citicens

Upon arrival EU/EEA doctorate students need to register at the Registers Iceland, to change their domicile and apply for their Icelandic ID number. More information can be found on Registers Iceland.


All doctorate students can apply for housing at the Student Housing Association. The registration fee needs to be paid in order to have the housing application become activated. We strongly advise you to apply for student housing as the housing market in Reykjavik can be quite challenging due to low supply of housing and extremly high demand caused by the tourist boom.

Housing Benefits

Low income individuals are eligible for housing benefits in Iceland. Doctorate students fall under this category so we advise all doctorate students to apply when they have moved to Iceland and have obtained a leasing agreement. Information on housing benefits, who are entitled to them, how to apply for them etc can be found on the Directorate of Labour webpage.

Know your rights and benefits

All imperative information for enrolled students at the University of Iceland can be found at the UI Student Council page.

Do not hesitate to contact the Student Council if you need further information.


Þú ert að nota: